Python in "math through programming" curriculum

Kirby Urner urner at alumni.princeton.edu
Tue Dec 19 20:13:32 EST 2000

neelk at alum.mit.edu (Neelakantan Krishnaswami) wrote:

>I disagree with you here about Python's appropriateness. Conceptually,
>the strongly typed FPLs are the best languages there are for learning
>about the mathematics of computer programming.

It could be there's a difference in emphasis here.  My
curriculum writing features Python as a useful tool
for exploring math concepts generally, not the mathematics
of computer programming specifically.  We're more
interested in regular calculus than lambda calculus.

In a lot of ways, this is simply about rescuing kids
from the clutches of the calculator freaks and giving
them a real computer language to play with.  You have
all these schools with fancy computers, but in math
class it's all graphing calculators, with computers
regarded as alien to the subject.

I've dinked around with Haskell some, but haven't
seen anything specifically geared for 8th graders
(say).  I think Python's chief competitor for right
now might be DrScheme, as the Rice University folks
have put enormous effort into coming up with
supporting curriculum materials.  On the other hand,
the emphasis there also seems to be on computer
math in particular, not so much garden variety
math math (not that there's always a sharp
distinction of course).

Kirby