ready for C or C++?

bowman bowman at montana.com
Mon Dec 25 09:25:32 EST 2000

Xmnemonic <xmnemonic at aol.com> wrote in message
> If I've learned Python and become proficient with it, am I ready to learn
C or
> C++?

yeah, but why would you want to? seriously, it shouldn't be a problem. C++
can be complex, but can have a higher level of abstraction, more in keeping
with Python. C is simpler but this implies if you want a dictionary, for
instance,
you will have to learn a lot more about the underlying data structure, since
you'll be building your own linked list, hash table or however you choose to
implement it. otoh, if you learn the nuts and bolts using C, you'll be able
see the concepts of more abstract languages a bit easier.

if you've spent some happy hours trying to build a usable hash, you'll
appreciate some of the arcane points, like why Java's first cut at a hash
degenerated into a list when fed a bunch of 'http://.....' keys...