ANNOUNCE: soundex.py

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Fri Dec 22 15:21:19 EST 2000

[A.M. Kuchling]
> Does this mean that Modules/soundex.c can be dropped from the Python
> CVS tree?

Alas, I don't think so, unless we get Special Dispensation from Guido.
Until PEP 5 is accepted, we don't have a well-defined way to get rid of a
module.  The distributed 2.0 docs call the soundex module "obsolete", but
don't say anything about it ever going away.  While the details of PEP 5
aren't all agreed upon yet, I believe most people agree with the basic
notion that modules can't go away without an explicit warning about that
first.