Testing if a list exist

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Thu Dec 21 10:36:11 EST 2000

In article <3A421FA8.61A49D48 at hotmail.com>,
joonas  <keisari_ at hotmail.com> wrote:

>How can I test if a list exists or not.

Based on the code you're using, it seems more that you're trying to test
whether a variable of a specific name exists, rather than testing to see
whether that variable contains a list.  I'd recommend setting the value
of the variable to None before you want to start using it; later on, you
can just say

if foo:

and go on from there.  That's assuming foo will only contain a list; if
it might contain something other than a list, use the types module or code
like this:

if type(foo) == type([]):

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

I don't really mind a person having the last whine, but I do mind
someone else having the last self-righteous whine.  --Aahz