[Q] Are Exceptions used that much in practice?

Jerome Mrozak goose at enteract.com
Tue Dec 12 02:35:34 EST 2000

I realize that Python allows me to catch exceptions.  But being a novice
I'm not sure if they are used much in the 'real world'.

In Java, my current bread-winning language, exceptions are caught mostly
because the compiler/language demands it.  I haven't yet designed a
system in Java such as:

while(1):
  try:
    read
  catch:
    break
  else:

Another way of putting it is, if the try-catch-else didn't exist would
anyone be terribly put out?  (If not then the construct isn't much
used...)

Thanks,
Jerome.

--
Jerome Mrozak          "Never buy a dog and bark for yourself"
goose at enteract.com     --"Slippery" Jim DiGriz