Is Stackless and uthread.py SMP friendly?

Will Ware wware at world.std.com
Sat Dec 16 23:35:48 EST 2000

jbalding at hotmail.com wrote:
> Okay. My next question: Is there a simple way of taking advantage of
> multiple processors using Python, or is this something that is going to
> be like pulling teeth? In other words, are there existing packages that
> allow relatively high-level, transparent access to multiple processors?

Here is something that looks like it might be a Python wrapper for MPI,
which is a communication protocol for doing the kind of clustering you
are interested in:
http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mtigges/mpipython.html

There is also a relevant-looking mailing list here:
http://www.mpi.nd.edu/MailArchives/lam/

Here is something that also looks promising:
http://pypvm.sourceforge.net/
This uses PVM, which is an older protocol for cluster computing. My casual
first impression is that PyPVM looks like it might be better maintained
than mpipython, not based on any actual knowledge.
--
# Resistance is futile. Capacitance is efficacious.