Trivial Distutils problem

John J. Lee phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Wed Dec 13 10:30:51 EST 2000

With the very basic Distutils script below, I get the following error:

$ python setup.py build
running build
running build_py
error: package directory 'TableIO' does not exist

Why does it think I want to install a package?  It's just one module to go
in the root package.

I'm on windows (above output pasted from a cygwin window, but it does the
same in a DOS shell).

#! /usr/bin/env python

# Distutils setup.py for TableIO

setup(name = "TableIO",
      version = "1.4",
      description = "A module for reading ASCII tables into NumPy arrays (and "
       "lists).",
      author = "Michael A. Miller",
      author_email = "miller5 at uiuc.edu",
      py_modules = ["TableIO.py"]
      # should really be Extension("TableIO._tableio"... ?, but Tableio.py
      # does import _tableio rather than import TableIO._tableio
      #ext_modules = [Extension("_tableio", ["_tableio.c",])]
      )

John