MIDI extensions (WIN32, Mac)?

Brett g Porter BgPorter at NOartlogicSPAM.com
Tue Dec 19 14:05:32 EST 2000

"Richard Dobson" <rwd at cableinet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3A3FACEF.DAF77229 at cableinet.co.uk...
> Hello,
>

> I have just started looking at Python seriously, with a focus on music
> applications; e.g. algorithmic composition. Python seems to me to be
> idally suited as a first programming language for Music Technology
> students who have never done programming before. So far the net trawling
> I have done has failed to turn up any already-done extensions supporting
> MIDI i/o. I could probably code this myself at least for WIN32 if need
> be, but it is the sort of thing I feel sure somebody must already have
> done. Can anyone suggest anything? Or has it indeed not been done yet?

I'm doing some work on this, but the idea of getting anything approaching
usable timing has made me focus instead on writing MIDI files and using a
standalone sequencer for actual performance. MIDI timing under Win9x is bad
enough as it is -- the additional latencies of Python aren't going to
help...

It would be easy enough to wrap the Windows MIDI i/o calls, if they're not
already available through one of Mark Hammond's extensions...

--
//  Today's Oblique Strategy (© Brian Eno/Peter Schmidt):
//  Honor thy error as a hidden intention