Exception Handling and Inheritance

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sat Dec 23 11:55:56 EST 2000

In article <921sdr$mlq$1 at newsreaderg1.core.theplanet.net>,
Franz GEIGER <fgeiger at datec.at> wrote:

>But what about Exceptions? They are not caught by my TException handler! And
>Exception does not have my Formatted method.

No, but you could easily implement a function to do that using the
traceback module.

>Do I really have to catch them in a 2nd handler? Or can I add some
>functionality somehow to Exception instead of implementing it in a derived
>TException?

Yes, you'll need to catch other exceptions explicitly.

WARNING: it's generally considered a Bad Idea to catch exceptions
willy-nilly.  For example, do you really want to trap the keyboard
interrupt?

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

'"Crisp" is a good quality for crackers; less so for pot roast.'  --pnh