Wanted: Python White Papers

jerry_spicklemire at my-deja.com jerry_spicklemire at my-deja.com
Thu Dec 21 14:45:32 EST 2000

  Noah Spurrier wrote:
> Is anyone aware of any white papers to explain the use of Python
> at any big, high-profile companies?
> I'm trying to use a "look-how-these-cool-companies-use-python"
> argument to defend the use of Python for a project. That won't be my
> only argument, of course :-) But currently Python is not winning many
> management converts here based solely on its technical merits.
> Many still say, "What's Python? Never heard of it...". It helps
> a lot when I say "Google uses it!", but it would help more if I
> knew HOW it is used and WHY.
>
> Actually, the only high-profile company that uses Python that I
> can think of is Google. Is anyone familiar with their architecture?
> How does Python fit into their design?

Actually InfoSeek used Python for years, before Google existed, and
some other high profile users include -

HP, especially in the recent E-Speak project :

 http://pysol.sourceforge.net/

 http://www-uk.hpl.hp.com/people/ak/doc/webe98.html

and even though their promotional materials are very careful to stress
a "Java centric" nature of E-Speak, this page clearly includes Python
as an "e-services" development tool :

 http://devresource.hp.com/devresource/Tools/ToolLibrary.html

and don't forget IBM, apparently favoring Python over their own
products, in at least one case:

 http://www.raleigh.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/EZ304100/2.3.9

 http://opendx.watson.ibm.com/dx/mailArchives/mails.html/opendx-
dev.0006/msg00211.html

 http://ncc.hursley.ibm.com/majordomo/IBM-NETREXX/archives/ibm-
netrexx.archive.0003/Author/article-9.html

 http://ncc.hursley.ibm.com/majordomo/IBM-NETREXX/archives/ibm-
netrexx.archive.0003/date/article-11.html

, and also at JavaSoft, where Python facilitates development of Java.
It seems that Java is too awkward to be optimally effective for use in
the QA role of testing itself. Go figure.

Here's a starting point that confirms Python use at a place called NASA:

 http://lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov/~bridgman/AstroPy/matrix.html

 http://lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov/~bridgman/AstroPy/index.html

and there's that Disney place in California, which uses Python:

 http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/mail/squeak/msg07429.html

plus George Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic :

 http://www.ilm.com/cgi-bin/getjob.pl?182-99

 http://www.ilm.com/cgi-bin/getjob.pl?61-01

and assorted research labs, such as -

Lawrence Berkeley :

http://smb.slac.stanford.edu/summer_school/software_workshop/WorkshopAge
nda.html

Lawrence Livermore:

 http://www.aps.org/meet/DPP00/baps/abs/S2260050.html

 http://www.foretec.com/python/workshops/1998-
11/proceedings/papers/dubois/dubois.html

 http://www-pcmdi.llnl.gov/software/cdat/

Los Alamos (including an actual White Paper!):

 http://bifrost.lanl.gov/MD/MD.html

 http://www.python.org/workshops/1997-10/proceedings/beazley.html

 http://starship.python.net/pipermail/mmtk/2000/000227.html

Oak Ridge :

 http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html

Sandia (et. al.):

 http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~curfman/cca/web/cca_paper.html

BTW, Metacrawler is handy for this sort of thing!

Later,
Jerry S.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/