SMB Module

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sun Dec 31 08:57:25 EST 2000

Armin Steinhoff wrote:

> In article <slrn94trot.b73.mballen at angus.foo.net>, mballen at erols.com
> says...
> >
> >smbclient.so [..] Perl module using it.
> >I just thought one of you guys might want to do the
> >same for Python.
>
> Makes no sense, because a SMB client mapps normaly a M$ volume to a
> directory tree (UNIX) or a virtual drive (M$) ...

SMB means Server Message Block. SMB is a application level protocol
which is not only used for file and printer sharing.

> I don't see in that case any tasks for Python.

How about password stuff, naming service, locating shares etc.? Just
primitive examples because I'm not a SMB expert. But I think it
would make sense to provide a Python binding for this smbclient.so.

Ciao, Michael.