How do packages and .pth files work under Windows (Py 2.0)

Mike Fletcher mfletch at tpresence.com
Tue Dec 5 04:17:05 EST 2000

Okay, here is the basic deal. You want to make your directory look something
like this...

SomeDirectoryOnPythonPath
	mx
		__init__.py
		TextTools
			__init__.py

You _don't_ want mx to be in your Python path if you want to do
	from mx import TextTools

To see what your current Python path is...

p:\>d:\bin\lang\py2\python
Python 2.0 (#8, Oct 16 2000, 17:27:58) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import sys
>>> sys.path
['', 'd:\\bin\\lang\\py2\\pythonwin', 'd:\\bin\\lang\\py2\\win32',
'd:\\bin\\lan
g\\py2\\win32\\lib', 'd:\\bin\\lang\\py2', 'd:\\bin\\lang\\py2\\dlls',
'd:\\bin\
\lang\\py2\\lib', 'd:\\bin\\lang\\py2\\lib\\plat-win',
'd:\\bin\\lang\\py2\\lib\
\lib-tk', 'd:\\bin\\lang\\py2\\numeric', 'd:\\bin\\lang\\py2\\pil']

As you can see, I don't have lib/site-packages in my Python path (or even on
my disk, for that matter).  For what most people seem to do on Win32 (to the
best of my knowledge), is to use the base Python directory for all
"well-behaved package-structured" modules.  That is, my directory structure
looks something like (for my 1.5.2 version of TextTools):

python
	mx
		TextTools

And without any .pth files, that works fine.  Similarly, had I put the same
structure in:

python
	lib
		mx
			TextTools

(lib being on the Python path), it should also work, again, without the use
of .pth files.  That's actually the nice thing about properly packaged
systems, you don't need to muck around with reconfiguring your Python path,
you just drop them into an existing directory.

Hope this helps,
Mike