Thank you, Fredrik. (was Re: Label-Value)

Roy Katz katz at Glue.umd.edu
Tue Dec 12 16:19:09 EST 2000

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Sigh.  The problem is that you keep using terms that mean
> something for you, whether or not they apply to the current
> situation.  [snip]
> If you want to learn something new, you have to stop doing
> that.  [snip]
> Here's how it's done in Python:
> [wonderful explanation snipped]

Thank you very much, I understand now more or less how this works.
Furthermore I appreciate your thoughtful, measured, and flame-free tone.

Roey

--------

to everyone else:

Thanks for your responses.
just to clarify something about '@identifier':  I'm playing devil's
advocate. So don't see this as an attack.  Judging
from the tone of voice in some responses, it seems they took my original
post (which was just a what-if) as some affront to the
language.  Ordinarily, So I'm fine either way the discussion swings, as
long as it is constructive.

I do, however, take to heart when people take potshots at me.
If I say I've been programming Python for N years, take it
at face value.  It seems to make people feel better
when they come down on someone else's experience. "What, you say you've
been programming for *THREE* years and you *STILL* can't get it??" is pure
ill will.  I'm not trying to come off as some hotshot, I was only asking a
question.  If you must know why I have had difficulty grasping Python's
labelling system, perhaps it is because I have had 10+ years' C/C++
experience.  So that is what I know.

Sometimes you've got to give someone the benefit of the doubt.  If s/he
mis-assumes, that's no reason to start letting loose with these kinds of
comments.  No doubt someone will append here some line like 'well you
should have read the python docs if you wanted to know
xyz..'.  Whatever. If I had found and understood this exact
documentation in the Python docs, I would not have posted the question.

Anyhow, Like I said, thank you all very
much for your responses, I appreciate them. To anyone who still feels
a need to nitpick, go ahead and fix my spelling mistakes.  Honestly don't
care anymore; I got what I needed and now I'm done.