capturing stdout from xwindows program

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Dec 20 17:37:44 EST 2000

In article <mailman.977218382.5431.python-list at python.org>, Roch'e Compaan wrote:

>How does one capture the result of a program that needs to
>attach to a running X Server?

It appears that you _did_ capture the program's output.

>If I execute a python script from a terminal while working in X
>it works fine, but in this case the system will execute the
>script and I need to tell it to connect to a X Server.

Are you asking how to tell the program what X server to use?
That is done by passing a DISPLAY env variable to the program.

>I tried popen2 but it returns 'program: cannot connect to X server'

Was the DISPLAY env varible set correctly?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Is this BOISE??
                                  at