wither PyFITS ?

Paul Barrett Barrett at STScI.Edu
Thu Dec 7 08:24:14 EST 2000

j vickroy wrote:

> claims there is a FITS module (PyFITS) available, but I have not been
> able to find it.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

You can find version 0.3.2 of PyFITS as http://ra.stsci.edu/pyfits. It
is not complete, but handles header access well.  The major impendement
to completing it is being able to efficiently hand the binary
extensions.

There is a group of us at STScI working to improve it.  The major
problem with the current module is lack of a good and efficient
interface to binary tables.  In an effort to remedy this situation, we
are also re-designing and re-implementing Numeric 2 which will be able
to handle arrays of records (C-structures) as well has homogeneous
arrays.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

 -- Paul