Programming Habits in Python

Tres Seaver tseaver at starbase.neosoft.com
Sun Dec 10 18:40:44 EST 2000

In article <slrn937caf.h4.amk at 207-172-146-162.s162.tnt3.ann.va.dialup.rcn.com>,
A.M. Kuchling <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:

>In the back of my mind I had a quotation, which I cannot track down on
>the Web.  The Principia uses geometrical methods throughout, even
>where analytical methods would have been much simpler, and someone
>(Halley, perhaps) said that reading the Principia was like walking
>through an arsenal of giant weapons of a past age, and that one is
>amazed that anyone could wield them at all.

I don't think it could be Halley;  he was actively involved (as the
then secretary of the Royal Society) in getting the Principia published.
It sounds a bit like an analogy my memory wants to attribute to
Bertrand Russell:  "the amazing thing about a waltzing bear is not
how well he waltzes, but that he waltzes at all."
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at digicool.com