<> vs != was Re: A Suggestion for Python Colon Syntax

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sat Dec 23 00:15:25 EST 2000

[Brad Clements]
> Horrors, I just checked some of my code and find that I use both !=
> and <> in the same module!

Dear Lord, man!  We can only pray that your msg expires from Guido's
newsfeed before he returns.  If not ... well, in the spirit of the season
you should be sure to tell your family how much you loved them.

> I don't know why.. Python is so easy to write for, I just use whatever
> is easier to type, so if my hands are low on the keyboard, out
> comes <> .. hands higher up then !=
>
> I think I'll stick with <>, but then I'll have to *think* about
> the syntax, rather than the algorithm.. something I normally don't
> have to do in Python..

Best guess is that "<>" will go away in P3K.  I jokingly told Guido it was
clearly wrong for an inequality operator to look so symmetric, and he forgot
to laugh <wink>.

> What a lovely language.

matched-only-by-your-lovely-post-ly y'rs  - tim