Python Database Interfaces - Any Standard?

Erno Kuusela erno-news at erno.iki.fi
Sun Dec 24 13:43:14 EST 2000

yes, db-api, see <URL:http://www.python.org/topics/database/>.

| I've been coding Perl DBI apps as long as I've been coding perl, and
| the DBI module is going to be sorely missed by me. Are all of the
| Python database interfaces database specific, or is there an
| abstraction layer similiar to DBI?
| Is there any one DB module for Python that has been adopted as a
| standard by the community?

i don't know anything about dbi. db-api is what the name says,
a standard api that different modules implement.

it's ofcourse not possible to have a single module cover all databases
since the various databases have different protocols for talking to
them (modulo odbc/jdbc). well, unless the single module contained code
for every conceivable database, but that would hardly be sensible.

  -- erno