good newbie books?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at gssec.bt.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 09:54:47 EST 2000

Don Tuttle wrote:
> > I just started Python and it is my first programming language.
> > Instead of constantly posting to this group for help I'm going to buy a
> > book.
> > Can anyone recommend a Python book that covers everything in a
> > newbieized way?

First can I strongly recommend joining the python-tutor mailing
list
- sign up via python.org web site. It is specifically designed
for beginners and you'll get a lot more questions etc at your
level than on c.l.python.

> Hi Georges.  Unfortunately there are not any absolute beginners book, good
> or bad, in Python.  It's a hole that, IMO, desperately needs to be filled.

My new book:

"Learn to program Using Python"

is aimed at complete beginners and should be available next week
(according to Amazon! They don't tell me these things I'm only
the author....:-)

Ivan Lanningham's "Teach Yourself Python in 24 hours" is also
aimed at beginners but takes a slightly faster pace than mine.
It covers things like GUI programming more thoroughly but
has less explanation of concepts.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

Alan G.