A Suggestion for Python Colon Syntax

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sat Dec 23 00:45:41 EST 2000

[Tim]
> I expect the PEP will be rejected, but that doesn't mean it
> will be.  Guido did surprise me once, in about 1995 <wink>.

[Steven D. Majewski]
> Please save me from searching thru a years worth of python-list
> archives and tell me what that 1995 surprise was!

My mistake:  it was 1994.  That's when Guido released Amrit Prem's code
adding "lambda" in 1.0.0 without breathing a word of it on the mailing list
first.  So I guess he surprised me again in 1995 by leaving it in <wink>.

So what do *you* want for Christmas, Steven?  We have to do *something* to
get you back from that XLISP crap.  How about optional colons, or mandatory
parentheses around 2-letter variable names?

hoping-you'll-settle-for-a-fruit-cake-ly y'rs  - tim