Microsoft SOAP not compatible with PythonWare's SOAP?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 11:59:21 EST 2000

"Iwan van der Kleyn" <ivdkleyn at xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:912q8s$c4i$1 at news1.xs4all.nl...
> Hi there,
>
> I'm developing an Intranet-site with Python. Part of the needed
> business-logic is already implemented as Visual Basic (COM) components
> (let's call this a "legacy-sytem" :-). I've investigated several means of
> integrating them into my intranet-application and a low-cost, conventient
> way would be to build a SOAP-interface which I would access with the
> SOAPlib.py from Pyhtonware (http://www.pythonware.com/products/soap/) .
>
> However, during testing I've not been able to retrieve any data from the
> test MS SOAP components. The soaplib seems to working fine, though. Is
this
> the result of "competing" SOAP implementations? Is there any info
availbale
> about this topic? (Í haven't found any on the internet)

I haven't run enough tests for this to be much more than hearsay, but
what little I did do, seemed just about to confirm what I was reading
around the net: the early versions of the MS SOAP toolkit had serious
divergences from other reference implementations of SOAP, but things
have been getting better in this regard, and the very latest MS SOAP
SDK beta *is* mostly-interoperable with stuff from IBM and Developmentor.

Alex