Python programs (or scripts) as drop targets

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Tue Dec 5 07:50:26 EST 2000

Alex Martelli:

> <shudder> if we're talking DDE, there is *another* issue which I
> find more pressing: DDEML is *NOT* usable in professional apps
> (although many apps that call themselves professional do use it).

   Agree completely here - various versions of DDEML have also had some
rather nasty race conditions. I once wrote an application based upon DDEML
only to stumble across these problems. There is the additional burden when
using DDEML of really needing to understand the underlying DDE protocol at
the same time as DDEML's 'simplified' version at the same time to debug. Its
more trouble than just learning DDE.

   Later, a colleague who was familiar with the history of DDEML within MS
said that it was an orphaned project and no one wanted to maintain it.

   Neil