ANNOUNCE: soundex.py

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Fri Dec 22 11:57:50 EST 2000

    Steve> I've found you can good results with a variable length soundex
    Steve> string--the more information you give the routine (first names,
    Steve> middle names, prefixes and suffixes) the better/smaller the
    Steve> result set.

Your wish is my command.  The module at

    http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/python/soundex.py

now computes a variable-length soundex string if you set soundex.NDIGITS to
0:

    >>> soundex.NDIGITS=0
    >>> soundex.get_soundex("montanaro")
    'M5356'
    >>> soundex.get_soundex("merriweather clark")
    'M6362462'
    >>> soundex.get_soundex('van der tamp, albert')
    'V5363514163'
    >>> soundex.get_soundex('van der tamp, albert c, lieutenant colonel, Phd')
    'V5363514163243553245413'

Skip