Python Origins

Nathan Gray nospam at caltech.edu
Thu Dec 14 04:08:04 EST 2000

Tim May wrote:

> In article <90uddk$31f at gap.cco.caltech.edu>, Nathaniel Gray
> <nospam at caltech.edu> wrote:
>
> >  Just out of curiosity, why did you bother to take the time to do a
> >  google
> > search just to castigate the original poster in that thread?
>
> Notice how you're the one fanning the flames in these threads?

Notice how you're avoiding the question?  It's a simple question.  Why go to
the trouble of doing a search, which you claim is such an imposition on your
time, if you're not planning to help out?

On second thought, don't answer.  The answer's pretty obvious, and this thread
has outlived its expiration date.

> > He didn't ask you to do a search.  He asked if anybody had solved the
> > problem and would be willing to share their code.  He was quite polite,
> > and
> > even explicitly stated that he'd already searched dejanews and
> > python.org.
> > What exactly did you take issue with?  Did he use the wrong search engine
> > for your tastes?
>
> He has expressed happiness that he could find 1200 references, many of
> them applicable, to Python and simulated annelaing by using a better
> search engine.

After apologizing profusely under the misguided impression that his question
was somehow inappropriate for this newsgroup.  For the record, Jochen, your
question was just the sort of thing newsgroups were invented for.

> I didn't see _you_ providing any help, either in that thread or in this
> "Python origins" thread. Your role is apparently just to join in later
> and argue for niceness.

You're right.  I definitely should have given Jochen my python code for
simulated annealing.  Oh wait, I don't have any --  that's why I didn't reply
to his post.  See how that works?  If he'd asked for Matlab code simulating
networks of integrate-and-fire neurons, on the other hand, I would have
replied.  I would have told him to take it to the Matlab newsgroup, but I also
would have shared my code. <wink>

> You remind me of Alan Dershowitz.

So does yer mom!  Shall we continue with "I know you are, but what am I," or
shall we go straight to obscenities?  How about we skip it?

Over and out.

-n8gray
-at
-caltech