Licensing Status of Python 1.5

Pat McCann thisis at bboogguusss.org
Wed Aug 16 19:16:23 EDT 2000

"Warren Postma" <embed at NOSPAM.geocities.com> writes:

> As we are using Python 1.5 in our commercial applications, I have a few
> questions about the Python 1.5 (not 1.6/2.0) license.
>
> I am hoping for assurance that (a) it's not legal or enforceable to claw
> back priveleges previously granted to the 1.5  source code which has already
> been released, and (b) any new restrictive licensing for 1.6 will in no way
> affect the use of 1.5.

(I speak only for myself and this is not legal advice. Ask a lawyer.)

Nobody can know until a court rules on it and not necessarily then.

It's all very very confusing.  That's why lawyers buy insurance.

I think most would agree that nobody (CNRI?) will try to apply new
licensing retroactively to 1.5 or even to versions of 1.6 published with
the old license and not the new one.  (I think the hope is that everyone
will assume the new one applies to all 1.6 versions so as to keep CNRI
happy with them.)

Your first concern is more debatable, but it applies to all open source
licenses that I can think of.  One sub-concern is whether each right is
under irrevokable contract or under revocable simple license.  Few seem
to worry about it, even many company lawyers.  I suspect CNRI's did.

Your concerns might be different depending upon whether you are running,
copying, deriving from, or distributing Python.  You didn't say.