Server-side Applications - examples wanted

Jason Cunliffe jasonic at nomadicsltd.com
Sat Aug 26 18:37:25 EDT 2000

Zope is easy to install and runs right out of the box..

But DTML, Zope's server side scripting <tag> 'language' is a mess, hard to
follow and still appallingly documented, though well supported by the Zope
mailing list. However, Zope's 'Python External methods' are very nice and
allow alot of functionality in a familiar consistent enviroinment.

The ZODB [Zope Object Data Bsse] rocks and is a great framework for many
nice things. inother words use DTML for the minimum and Python External
Methods for the rest. Zope purists may offer 10,000 reason why not, but to
newbie me obvious advantages of Python External methods are:

PRO
1. its python - all the knwn advantages , modules etc.
2. you can keep you python code invisible - just map Zope function names to
your own Python functions.
3. Zope maintains only links to the .py file, so you can made fast revisions
to a single python file and without having to touch Zope again. just update
the python sourcve file and keep running!
4. Zope and Python External Methods port very nicely to Win32 - Zope runs
great on Windows and Python code goes along with it. easy.

CON
1. You still need to undersatnd the basic design philosophy of Zope [ which
is very cool and powerful]
2. You still need to know a tiny bit of DTML [ but mostly the Zope
interface]

- Jason

news:etdlmxjuczv.fsf at w20-575-64.mit.edu...