Still no new license -- but draft text available

Austin Ziegler aziegler at the-wire.com
Sat Aug 12 09:12:37 EDT 2000

On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Mike Stump wrote:
> Rainer Deyke <root at rainerdeyke.com> wrote:
>> I write shareware games.  I distribute my games for free through the
>> internet, and charge for the password which unlocks the full game.
>> If I distributed the source code for my games for free under the
>> GPL, there would be no incentive for anyone to register since
>> anybody could just remove the password check and release the
>> result.  This is clearly not an option I'm willing to take.
> You could release the source to the demo version, along with the demo
> version.

Which just means you didn't read what he wrote, Mike. He sells the full
game with a password protect. There's no difference between the demo
and the full versions -- you enter a password to unlock the full
capabilities of the game. Capiche?

Rainer, I think that this is going to be a problem that you will find
with any open source licence, not just the GPL. You may consider
delaying source release if you wish to release under GPL or any other
open source licence. Put a clause at the front that indicates the date
when the source code will be released, perhaps a year after you release
the game itself.

-f
--
austin ziegler   * fant0me(at)the(dash)wire(d0t)c0m * Ni bhionn an rath ach
ICQ#25o49818 (H) * aziegler(at)s0lect(d0t)c0m       * mar a mbionn an smacht