Teaching the art of programming, in python

Bernhard Reiter breiter at usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE
Fri Apr 7 07:19:55 EDT 2000

In article <slrn8er3fd.fcd.r2d2 at shaka.acc.umu.se>,
	r2d2 at shaka.acc.umu.se (Niklas Frykholm) writes:

>>> I don't think so.  You can go at your own speed.  The book is broken up
>>> into 24 chapters, each taking more or less than an hour to read.
>>
>>Well I guess that a good speed would be 14 days, then. :)
>>With two hour lections plus time to exercise.
>
> As an interesting side note, a publisher here in Sweden has
> recently started a 10-minute series, with titles such as
> "Teach your self Internet in 10 minutes". Seems there is
> inflation (or perhaps deflation) in these things.

Just discovered that Peter Novig wrote some nice chapters about it
	http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html
Excerpt:
| Why is everyone in such a rush?
|
| Walk into any bookstore, and you'll see how to Teach Yourself Java
| in 7 Days alongside endless variations offering to teach Visual
| Basic, Windows, the Internet, and so on in a few days or hours.
| I did a search
[..]
| The conclusion is that either people are in a big rush to learn
| about computers, or that computers are somehow fabulously easier to
| learn than anything else. There are no books on how to learn
| Beethoven, or Quantum Physics, or even Dog Grooming in a few days or
| hours.

> And it _is_ a silly practice. But then again, corporate
> silliness doesn't surprise me that much anymore.

:)
Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)