Best database to use with Python

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Thu Apr 27 09:23:51 EDT 2000

D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> Kevin McDermott <kevinmcd at nospam.linuxsolutions.demon.co.uk>
> wrote: > Depends on what you want to use it for...if it's to
> connect CGI programs > to, then I'd recommend MySQL.
>
> Please don't take this as argumentative but I am curious why you
> think that being used with CGI programs per se makes one database
> better than the other.  It seems to me that there are a lot more
> issues to consider such as what kind of data, what kind of data
> relationships, how the data needs to be accessed, etc.  I use
> PostgreSQL for all my database work, CGI accessed or not, except
> for where the data sets are simple enough to use shelve.

Sometime ago linuxplanet did a comparison (sorry I can't
check the link - my ISP is hosed right now):
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/1224/1/

As I recall, Postgres was the most complete DB; MySQL the
least complete. MySQL was very fast at some operations
(probably related to lack of transaction support), but the most
startlingly fast one was bulk load, which does you no good in
a CGI situation. Again, from memory, MySQL was fast at very
simple queries, but had a very limited SQL dialect and fell
apart with fancier queries.

- Gordon