What is python's language level?

Warren Postma embed at geocities.com
Tue Apr 4 15:07:37 EDT 2000

"Chuck Meyers" <chuck.meyers at lmco.com> wrote in message
news:38EA1B8F.A797A130 at lmco.com...
> Does anyone know python's language level? I did not find it in the list
> at:
>
> http://www.spr.com/library/0langtbl.htm
>
> I would guess that it would be somewhere between 15 and 30. This is an
> important point, even if language levels are imprecise they can make it
> easier to convince people to look at or try a language like python.

Cheap guess; Perl is a 15, so we'll take the Perl number.

Two things that make me laugh about this:

1. One of the highest 'level' tools is Lotus 1-2-3 for DOS? So why isn't
Linux or Windows 2000 written entirely in "lotus 1-2-3 for DOS"? That's
rich.   Go ahead and try to convince people to use Lotus 1-2-3 for DOS for
their new development efforts!

2. What's a function point?  Who decides what a "function point" is, and
says that it applies across all the various kinds of people who write
software as part of their professional duties?  How many lines of COBOL does
it take to create a python-like Dictionary object? ;-)

Warren