Using python on the web

Brent Fulgham brent.fulgham at xpsystems.com
Thu Apr 20 19:34:45 EDT 2000

A couple of questions:

> We build medium-busy, CGI-intensive sites in Python. We were briefly
> quite excited about Zope, but once we realized it locked us into Yet
> Another Programming Language, we lost interest. DHTML is particularly
> problematic,
1.  I'm not familiar with Zope.  Is DHTML specific to Zope?  It seems
to be proudly advertised on a lot of "webware" brochures I see these
days.

> The biggest hassle for us has been the weak MySQL support in
> Python. The spec keeps changing and the interface is raw.

2.  Have you tried using PostgreSQL?  MySQL may be fast, but it's
really little more than a filesystem represented as a database.
It has no transaction support whatsoever which tends to lead to
problems when you have a community-style site that has multiple
parties trying to add messages, etc.  Have you had much success
using it in a production environment?  I realize Slashdot and I
think Sourceforge do, but they have their share of troubles.

Of course, the Postgres Python bindings may be just as bad from your
perspective.  :-)

Thanks,

-Brent