Python/Perl Popularity (Re: A Mountain of Perl...)

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 12 11:08:34 EDT 2000

In article <8d22qg$oai$1 at newsserver.rrzn.uni-hannover.de>, breiter at usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE (Bernhard Reiter) writes:

|> > Well, what I'm suggesting is that it might be a good idea
|> > to make a command-line accessible version of the documentation,
|> > together with a command line tool, available as part of the
|> > standard distribution.
|>
|> lynx is a command line tool and will work fine and fast.

Not really.  It is a 'full-screen" browser.  In particular, it
doesn't work together with scrollback, and you can't easily use
it to produce text for automatic scan.  The original CERN www
browser IS a command-line browser, but it has a pretty revolting
user interface.  Well, so has lynx, for that matter.

However, I do find this whole debate bizarre ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QG, England.
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679