o'reilly python devcenter

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Tue Apr 18 13:15:57 EDT 2000

Hi All--

"Michal Wallace (sabren)" wrote:

> I didn't see this posted already, but sorry if its old news.
> O'Reilly started a new python site:
>
>      http://www.oreillynet.com/python/

Hmmm.  I looked it over, admittedly not in great depth, but:

	1)  There seems to be no mention of www.python.org
	2)  There seems to be no mention of the python mailing lists
	3)  The only books mentioned are O'Reilly books
	4)  There seem to be no links to other websites

Maybe I'm very wrong here, but I think this sort of attempt to control
the vertical and horizontal is a bit foreign to Python.  I like (make
that love) O'Reilly books, but I'll say the same thing I said back when
the Honda Civic made its debut:

	"There's no reason to apply hard-sell arm-twisting techniques here.
The car sells itself, the engineering is that good."

Of course, that didn't prevent me from getting enough arm-twisting FUD
phone calls from the salesman I made the mistake of giving my name to
that I ended up not buying a Honda.

"Open Source" is a philosophy that applies to more than source.

<please-please-tell-me-i'm-wrong>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
http://www.pauahtun.org
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours