Python for drivers?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Apr 21 22:29:11 EDT 2000

Dave <redsand at dsuper.net> wrote:
> Can Python be used for writing device drivers? I just got BeOS 5 and it
> doesn't support some video cards. I'd like to write one for the Cirrus
> Logic card and I want a language that's clear and concise- Python. I've
> never written device drivers. Any suggestions?

Most probably: no. If you got it going, it'd be sloooooooooow.
Python is clear and concise, but it doesn't execute very quickly compared
to C. Python's also not as good as C at access to the bare metal
(the video card); you'd have to get significantly funky to be able to do
that (and you'd need some C in there). So in this case I think that even
prototyping in Python, then moving to C, isn't going to work. Sorry!
Wish I could've given you more positive suggestions. It's just one of those
cases where Python isn't fast or low-level enough. This is rare, but it
does happen.

Regards,

Martijn