The Simple Economics of Open Source

Ed elb at cfdrc.com
Fri Apr 21 10:09:35 EDT 2000

On the other hand, I didn't think much of the article.  If felt the authors
were snobbish because they gave the impression that programmers behave
somewhat like monkeys, motivated primarily by concerns about group status
and dominance.  The abstract's mention of "career concerns" as a motivating
factor was not explored in any depth; it simply made the abstract more
pallatable.

I thought they left out two important motivations for support/involvement in
open-source software: (1) frustration (with pointy-haired bosses who don't
know what you're talking about until you show them; with dysfunctional
software tools; with commercial-software "documentation" that is really
advertisement); and (2) risk reduction (concern over the potential money pit
that a commitment to Microsoft and commercialized software might bring).

Of course, even though I didn't like it, I'm glad they wrote it.
Misinformation, delivered to economists and marketing agencies whose
interests are to profit from emerging markets by finding influence points,
is a good thing.