python-only crypt()?

Jp Calderone exarkun at flashmail.com
Sun Apr 23 02:23:33 EDT 2000

"Michal Wallace (sabren)" wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>   Is there a python-only implementation of the crypt() module?  I'm
> looking for users who don't have access to rebuild python with crypt
> enabled...
>
>   I could only find C modules... I'm taking a crack at porting
> Crypt::UnixCrypt from perl, but I can't really tell what the code is
> doing once it gets down into the DES algorithm, so it's a little
> tedious.

 I dunno about the first part, but there's a very good (IMHO)
explanation of the DES algorithm at http://www.aci.net/kalliste/des.htm
if you choose to go that route.

  Jp

--
Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and
weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and