[ANNOUNCE] Garbage collection for Python

Boris Borcic zorro at zipzap.ch
Sat Apr 15 04:22:39 EDT 2000

Just van Rossum wrote:

> - Will Ware and I have worked hard on a complete rewrite of the
>   uthread module. It is a *vast* improvement over the old one.
>   It offers a very nice thread object and several handy threading
>   widgets. It already can do stuff threading.py can only *dream*
>   about, like pausing (blocking) a thread from another thread or
>   posting an exception from another thread (!).

Simple examples of useful new idioms that this permits ?

BTW, I remember there exists a package for lisp, called
"screamer", that turns it in a backtracking non-deterministic
language in the style of prolog, through a device called
CPS (continuation-passing style) transformation. While
python lacks S-expressions and lisp-style macros that
allow this for lisp, continuations are clearly the key
component of this gimmick. It might be worth its while
to have a better look.

There is also Oz. http://www.mozart-oz.org/ - I've long
dreamt of a language with some of the semantics of Oz
and Python syntax and libs. continuations and uthreads
seem to bring python somewhat closer to Oz.

BB
--
"Hope achieves the square root of the impossible"