Trouble compiling PyGreSQL 2.4 on Linux

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Mon Apr 24 08:16:23 EDT 2000

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Martin SkЬtt wrote:
> >    There is no Makefile 'cause the module is intended to use standard
> > Python Makefile.pre.in/Setup.in scheme.
>
> That is onlu if you chose the standard Python module installation. Red
> Hat has made something special where modules are stored in a directory
> called lib-dyn/ some where. To me it seems like the modules then are
> loaded automaticly.

   I think even on RH you may do it "standard way" - install python-dev
RPM, and you've got Makefile.pre.in and Setup.in with them. Copy these
files to you work directory, modify Setup.in to your needs (to PyGreSQL
needs this time :) and make -f Makefile.pre.in && make.
   I didn't test my advice - I run only Debian systems and one Solaris; and
in any case I installed Python from sources - I need some more modules
(locale, most notable) and some less (no tkinter, please :)

> As I mention in my first posting the readme.linux file describes how
> to do an red hat install (make redhat) but it doesn't seem to work. An
> address is also mentioned for an RPM but the file doesn't exist on the server.

   D'Arcy would gladly accept any patch.

----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru