Unicode program representation

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Apr 3 14:28:08 EDT 2000

"Fredrik Lundh" <effbot at telia.com> writes:

> hmm.  wouldn't that mean that we end up using different encodings in
> different parts of the script?  feels a little scary, to say the least...

This is very likely to happen, but this should not be seen as scary.

Modules handling linguistic or cultural matters might come from various
sources, which sources do not necessarily use the same encodings, but yet
be used simultaneously in a program building on them all.  It is fairly
evident to me that editing strings on a screen, while seeing them nicely
displayed, far overweight the little advantages of limiting sources to
7 bits.  It is nice that Python offers a 7-bits common denominator.  Yet,
making a rule of 7-bits, or just abusing of it, might be counter-productive.