Python 2.0

Wayne Izatt wayne.izatt at myself.com
Wed Apr 26 23:34:25 EDT 2000

Hi all,

I'm evaluating the viability of developing a number of largish
applications over the next few months. However, I'm concerned about them
not being conformant with Python 2.0. I know that the interpreter could
simply be left at the 1.5.2 or 1.6 level, but this will probably not
satisfy my customer. I could go with that other scripting language, but
would rather not.

I guess what I'm wanting to know is how *much* the core language will
change. I've seen the overview slides describing the differences, but
they are very high-level. Given that my apps will span a number of areas
- text processing, networking, maybe even win32 (yuck) - I don't weant
to find myself with a huge maintenance task when 2.0 does come out.
(Although I admit anything written in that other language becomes a huge
maintenance task after a couple of weeks ;->

So, can anyone give me any advice? Is there any cause for alarm?

ta