Why should I switch to Python? - Infinity of Primes

Mikael Olofsson mikael at isy.liu.se
Wed Apr 5 03:05:31 EDT 2000

On 05-Apr-00 Tim Peters wrote:
 >  [Greg Ewing]
 > > If someone actually came up with a formula for constructing
 > > primes, it would be rather large news -- isn't that one of
 > > the Big Unsolved Problems?
 >
 >  Several such formulas were developed in the 70's, although they're
 >  strained.
 >  Paulo Ribenboim's accessible "The Little Book of Big Primes"
 >  (Springer-Verlag, 1991) gives a bunch of 'em in chapter 3, along with 6
 >  other proofs of the infinitude of the primes.

Yeah, like the one taking two integers as arguments, p and q, and then
generating p-1 if that happens to be a prime (for some, but not for all q),
and generating 2 in all other cases...

It certainly is a function that generates primes for all inputs.

/Mikael

E-Mail:  Mikael Olofsson <mikael at isy.liu.se>
WWW:     http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/dtr/staff/mikael
Phone:   +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343