Python 1.6 alpha 1 released

Johannes Stezenbach yawyi at gmx.de
Tue Apr 4 12:37:34 EDT 2000

Guido van Rossum <guido at cnri.reston.va.us> wrote:
>I don't want to break that much code, so I'll revert the decision in
>the
>next alpha release.
>
>However, I'll do so for purely backwards compatible reasons, and I
>will continue to press for the tuple address as the correct form.

Will python then support a -w switch to support people in writing
correct programs (i.e. compatible with likely furure language/library
changes), just like our-favourite-four-letter-P-language?

Seriously: Either accept the 2-arg form of connect() as *correct* for
all future versions of python or keep the change to make it illegal
*now*.
Just postponing the change is evil since it will only hurt more people
in the future, as the number of python users is growing. (CP4E?)

>But I will fix the code -- it's the only practical thing to do.

If it's not broken then don't fix it.