Browse dialog in PythonWin

Roger Burnham rburnham at cri-inc.com
Wed Apr 19 18:38:07 EDT 2000

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:26:51 -0600, Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan at callware.com> wrote:

>Hi All--
>OK, I've been able to get my dialogs up and even install handlers for
>button clicks, but now I need to start up a browse dialog that lets
>users  choose directories.
>
>And is there any news on Mark Hammond's Starship page?
>
><not-that-i'm-frustrated-but-my-keyboard-has-teeth-marks-now>-ly y'rs,
>Ivan
>Ivan Van Laningham
>Callware Technologies, Inc.
>http://www.pauahtun.org
>http://www.foretec.com/python/workshops/1998-11/proceedings.html
>Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
>Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

Ivan,

Here's a dialog I adapted from something I found in the PythonWin
distribution.

import sys, os
import win32ui, win32api, win32con, win32file
import string
from pywin.tools import hierlist
import commctrl

def dirParts(path):
    parts = []
    drive, path = os.path.splitdrive(path)
    pp = os.path.split(path)
    parts.append(pp[-1])
    while pp[0] != path:
        path = pp[0]
        pp = os.path.split(path)
        if pp[-1]:
            parts.append(pp[-1])
    parts.append(drive+'\\')
    parts.reverse()
    return parts

class DirHierList(hierlist.HierList):

    def __init__(self, root, listBoxID=win32ui.IDC_LIST1, defaultDir=None):
        self.defDir = defaultDir
        hierlist.HierList.__init__(self, root,
                                   win32ui.IDB_HIERFOLDERS, listBoxID)
        self.choice = None

    def HierInit(self, parent, listControl=None ):
        hierlist.HierList.HierInit(self, parent, listControl)
        if self.defDir is not None:
            parts = dirParts(self.defDir)
            path = ''
            for part in parts:
                path = os.path.join(path, part)
                items = self.itemHandleMap.items()
                for key,val in items:
                    if string.lower(val) == string.lower(path):
                        self.list.SelectItem(key)
                        if self.IsExpandable(val):
                            try:
                                self.list.Expand(key, commctrl.TVE_EXPAND)
                            except:
                                pass

    def GetText(self, item):
        ret = os.path.basename(item)
        if not ret:
            ret = item
        return ret

    def GetSubList(self, item):
        if os.path.isdir(item):
            try:
                ret = map(lambda path, base=item:
                          os.path.join(base, path), os.listdir(item))
                ret = filter(os.path.isdir, ret)
            except os.error:
                ret = None
        elif item == 'My Computer':
            possible = string.splitfields(win32api.GetLogicalDriveStrings(),
                                          '\000')
            ret = []
            for drive in possible:
                dType = win32file.GetDriveType(drive)
                if (drive and
                    dType == win32con.DRIVE_FIXED or
                    dType == win32con.DRIVE_REMOTE):
                    try:
                        os.listdir(drive)
                        ret.append(string.upper(drive))
                    except os.error:
                        pass
        else:
            ret = None
        if ret is None:
            return ret
        else:
            ret.sort()
            return ret

    def IsExpandable(self, item):
        return os.path.isdir(item)

    def GetSelectedBitmapColumn(self, item):
        return self.GetBitmapColumn(item)+6

    def TakeDefaultAction(self, item):
        return PerformItemSelected(item)

    def PerformItemSelected(self, item):
        self.choice = item
        w = len(self.title)
        self.dlg.SetWindowText(self.title+' ...%s' % item[-(49-w):])

def DirectoryDialog(title, topDir, defDir):
    dirList = DirHierList('My Computer', defaultDir=defDir)
    dirList.title = title
    dlg = hierlist.HierDialog(title, dirList)
    dirList.dlg = dlg
    if dlg.DoModal() == win32con.IDOK:
        return dirList.choice
    else:
        return None

if __name__== '__main__':
    direc = DirectoryDialog('Test of directory selection',
                            'My Computer',
                            'C:\\CRI\\Images')
    win32ui.MessageBox('You chose: %s' % direc)

Cheers,

Roger Burnham
rburnham at cri-inc.com