mxODBC error trapping

Daley, MarkX markx.daley at intel.com
Tue Apr 25 13:45:38 EDT 2000

I am accessing databases using the notes by John Dell'Aquila for ODBC using
Python Database API.  It works fine, but now I am trying to set up error
trapping in the event that a connection fails to be made.  Here is the basic
code structure:

def collect():
	"Routine to query all servers for all names for time period defined
in timer."
	# Define some variables
	for index in servername:
		try:
			# Big routine to collect data and write to file
		except dbi.operation-error:
			servername.append(index)

Here is the error message I get:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<pyshell#2>", line 1, in ?
    collect.collect()
  File "C:\PROGRA~1\Python\collect.py", line 50, in collect
    except dbi.operation-error:
AttributeError: operation

If I change the exception to just OperationError, I get this:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in ?
    collect.collect()
  File "C:\PROGRA~1\Python\collect.py", line 50, in collect
    except OperationalError:
NameError: OperationalError

I guess I don't know enough about exceptions to trap them properly.  Any
hints?

- Mark