Why should I switch to Python?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Apr 1 09:16:09 EST 2000

"Chris Ryland" <cpr at emsoftware.com> writes:

> Oh, no, not another Perl vs. Python war! ;-)

That remembers me of a little story that made me smile, years ago.  This was
the comment of a discouraged nurse at a recruiting centre for the army,
at the entrance of the medical examination room.  "I told them for _years_
to remove their shirt, and they still do not know they should."

There will be newcomers to Python all the time, and they are likely to ask
questions which I asked, and which you asked, when you initially came here.
I quite remember I got in, not so long ago, with this brilliant, brand new,
clever idea that we should write a Perl to Python automatic converter.
You people received me with an exquisite politeness and patience, and my
liking of Python deepened instantly as it got kind of fuzzily intermixed,
in my fragile mind, with the feeling of good human values, as well.

We should not see the potential for a war every time Perl is discussed,
and be patient instead.  It looks all pretty bearable so far.  And if it
was becoming too heavy, we could prepare pre-canned replies for the most
questions, and even suggest a pointer to this FAQ right into the message
footer generated for this list.  Welcoming people in person is better!