[Python-Dev] Round Bug in Python 1.6?

Andrew Dalke dalke at acm.org
Fri Apr 7 09:32:54 EDT 2000

Greg Ward exclaimed:
>Oh, joy! oh happiness! someday soon, I may be able to type
>"blah.__doc__" at the interactive prompt and get a readable result!

I agree.  I write __str__ to be human readable, while __repr__
is more mean to be used in evals.  I have code which looks like:

    def __repr__(self):
        return "%s(%s, %s)" % (self.__class__.__name__,
                               repr(self.data),
                               repr(self.alphabet))
    def __str__(self):
        if len(self.data) > 60:
            s = repr(self.data[:60] + " ...")
        else:
            s = repr(self.data)
        return "%s(%s, %s)" % (self.__class__.__name__, s,
                               repr(self.alphabet))

The size of self.data could be megabytes, and I don't want that
scrolling line after line up the screen when in interactive mode.
I would much rather have the __str__ version which only shows
the first 60 characters.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at acm.org