scrolledListBox problem

Paul Magwene paul.magwene at yale.edu
Wed Apr 12 17:57:54 EDT 2000

Pete wrote:

> I am using makeing a GUI that contains 2 scrolledListBoxes,  and I have
> come across something unfortunate.  When I select an item in one list,
> the currently selected item in the other list becomes deselected,  so
> only one list can have an item selected at any point in time.  Is this a
> bug in PMW?  Any ideas as to how to fix this?

This is a Tkinter thing.  By default the selection in a Listbox widget
is also the X selection, and selecting something outside the listbox
deselects it.  You need to set the exportselection option to zero to get
the behavior you want.

For example,

----------------------
Pure Tkinter solution:
----------------------

from Tkinter import *
root = Tk()

sl1 = Listbox(root,exportselection=0)
sl1.insert(END,'bob')
sl1.insert(END,'fred')

sl2 = Listbox(root,exportselection=0)
sl2.insert(END,'mary')
sl2.insert(END,'jane')

sl1.pack()
sl2.pack()

root.mainloop()

-----------------------
Pmw solution
-----------------------

from Tkinter import *
import Pmw

root = Pmw.initialise()

sl1 = Pmw.ScrolledListBox(root,items=('bob','fred','mary'),
                          listbox_exportselection=0)
sl2 = Pmw.ScrolledListBox(root,items=('jim','john','bob'),
                          listbox_exportselection=0)

sl1.pack()
sl2.pack()

root.mainloop()