new method for string objects

Charles G Waldman cgw at alum.mit.edu
Sat Apr 1 13:46:48 EST 2000

In article <xDnF4.4507$74.72019 at newsc.telia.net>, "Fredrik Lundh"
<effbot at telia.com> wrote:

> (if numeric python doesn't support the buffer interface,
> it should be fixed).
>
> </F>

It doesn't, yet, so I decided to sit down and add this support.

However I haven't been able to dig up documentation
on the buffer interface - is there a document somewhere
describing this, or do I just need to look at code such as
Objects/stringobject.c and figure out the buffer interface
by reading that?

It's a little more complex in the case of Numeric Python since
Numeric supports non-contiguous arrays.  I see that there is a
bf_getsegcount method which seems like it would be appropriate
in this case, but without a little more information I'm not sure
that I'm using it correctly.