The Simple Economics of Open Source

Jeff Bauer jbauer at rubic.com
Sat Apr 22 00:03:06 EDT 2000

>> Robin wrote:
>> Painters exchange ideas, concepts and criticism freely,
>> but compete for customers.

> Raffael responded:
> Speaking as a painter, I can tell you that many painters
> do not share ideas and concepts, but are quite secretive
> about them. In fact, there is a long history of artists
> keeping their working methods secret from each other,
> for precisely the same reason that any other set of
> business competitors do.

And the success of that approach has made painting
a profitable and lucrative career choice, in contrast
to the thousands of struggling software engineers who
can't even qualify for an NEA grant. <wink>

If I didn't have my part-time performance art
income to help pay the bills, I could never
afford to support my programming lifestyle.

-Jeff