TCP/IP protocols

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Fri Apr 14 18:49:20 EDT 2000

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 04:28:03PM -0600, Jeff Massung wrote:

> I'm new to Python programming, but am very experienced in C/C++. Could
> someone point me to a good reference for TCP/IP programming with Python
> (pdf, book, anything :]) thanks.

The standard lib documentation on the 'socket' library should be what you
need. It's basically a wrapper around the systems' socket() call, which
returns an object which wraps the systems' accept(), bind(), connect(),
send(), write(), read(), recv(), etc. For async network I/O, there's
asyncore.

If you're looking for some higher-level programming, see libraries like
httplib, ftplib, telnetlib, urllib, SocketServer, *HTTPServer, etc.

Documentation for all these modules comes with the python source (in the
Doc/lib/ directory) in TeX format, with most binary distributions in some
form or another, or can be downloaded or browsed online at
http://www.python.org/doc/lib/ (There's an entire chapter, 11, dedicated to
'Internet Protocols and Support'.)

(If you insist, i'm sure we can find some book you can buy that lists the
same thing... but a lot of good docs can be found online, and you can
convert to pdf if you insist ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>